Wednesday, April 20, 2011

RID-JID

I just wanted to share my latest purchase with like minds who I am sure can get just as excited about this as I am! I have been wanting a wooden ironing board for a few years now, but could never find them for less than $25 in stores. They were usually priced way higher than that and even on Craigslist averaged around $50. Apparently far too many people believe if it's old it must be worth a lot, which we as collectors and lifestylists know isn't always true.

Imagine how happy I was when the storekeeper pointed this out and said it was only $15! Hell yes I was going to get it! To top it off, it has it's original decal in great condition! That I would have gladly paid $25 for, but squeeled on the inside when he said it was $15. He did have another one from the 20's with original decal for $15 as well. The board wasn't in as great of condition, though still perfectly usable, and the decal wasn't as good in condition though the image was better. Since I like to USE my vintage and antiques until I kill them, I opted for the sturdier one so it will take me longer to kill it.


I don't know anything about this board other than it has found a new loving home. Do any of you know anything about the RID-JIDs? Also if you are in the Kenosha area and want the other board for $15, I'll pick it up for you (you can pick it up from me) or show you where you can get it.








Click on photos to enlarge.

14 comments:

  1. Nice find! I have an old wooden one too.. mine has an old cover on it so I'm not sure if there's a label or not under there?? I personally like the old wooden ones too, but who the heck would pay $50 for one??

    ~MaryD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary D... Ooh! Peek under yours and see if it is still there! I am going to have to buy a cover for this and a deep pad so I don't ruin the decal too much. I am also going to see if I can't safely remove it to preserve it a bit. I started to wonder if I was just being too cheap! But stuck it out for the $10-$15 range and YEARS later Yay! I have it!!

    Lindsay... I can't wait to use it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a nice find! What store did you get it at? (I live in Kenosha :D)

    ReplyDelete
  4. R.G.... You can get the other one at Cypress Tree Antiques. 722 50th Street. The storekeeper lives in the building so you have to buzz to get in. Once you are in ask him to show you the wooden ironing board as it is tucked away where you would never see it. Good luck and let me know if you get it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll let you know! Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I finally got one about 2 years ago. You will love it! They are so much more stable then modern ones. Mine has a multi-layer old cover nailed on so I don't think I have a label. Glad you got such a bargain!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Naomi... Nailed on? I never knew! I really want to use mine and sneak it in the utility closet, but first I need a cover. I was really thrilled! Since I bought my 15$ I've seen 3 in shops... 2 were around 35$ and one was 75$! Use as a coffee table it said! For 75$ that better be solid oak!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a Rid-Jid Laundry basket. When I google rid-jid it always comes up with ironing boards. Do you have any info.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I am so glad to see this blog. I have the RID-JID ironing board that my mother got in or before 1938. It is so-o-o study and the cover she made was perfect. All that to say, mine was damaged in a house fire, and 2 of the 3 rubber leg tips were lost. I have had it recovered, but can't find the leg tips. Can anyone help me on this one? I've searched the internet. Someone suggested that I buy another ironing board and use the foot tips. That seems a bit excessive. Thank for your help.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a Rid-Jid ironing board that my mother bought me when I got married 48 years ago! and it's still going strong - metal variety. I need a new cover and I'd like to find a "spreadwing" cover. Anyone know where to buy one of those?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just found one too for $25. This one has a wooden board in great condition and has the metal legs, which I prefer.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I HAVE A 'RID-JID' IRONING BOARD AND IT IS METAL AND VERY STURDY. I CANNOT FIND A COVER THAT IS SQUARE AT THE TIP TO EXPAND THE WIDTH OF THE IRONING BOARD. I AM NOT ABLE TO FIND ONE. DOES ANYONE KNOW.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have my Great-Grandmother's Rid-Jid Mastermaid ironing Board. I love it! I have used it for about 40 years. It is the perfect height for me. The end is narrower than modern ironing boards which allow me to get into some small areas of clothing, and it is easy to open and close.

    ReplyDelete