Monday, April 11, 2011

My Modern Love: The Jelly Shoe

I cannot lie... I LOVE JELLY SHOES! These stinky sweaty feet causing foot mittens make me smile. I am very particular about the style of jelly I like. When it comes to everyday flats, the woven style will always win. (I am not a fan of the perforated style.) I have always liked the jelly shoe, however since I picked up 4 pairs a few summers back at Target for $2.50 each, I have been on a constant lookout for these gems since they tend to break fairly easily on me due to me wearing them daily. My first 4 pairs were in clear, neon green, neon pink, and electric blue. I have each of those pairs till they were dead and then some. Not even after others begging and pleading me to toss them, would I do just that. Not until I found replacements. Goodness why didn't I buy 10 pairs of each color when I had the chance! Since then I have found more at Goodwills and thrift stores to replace the broken ones (which I have now finally tossed). Still I can never say no to the jelly shoe. Even if it is in the same color.

I also like the strip-side ones. I have a pair in black and in white, but I barely wear those because the strappy vamp gets caught on my pinky toe.

The most I have ever paid for a pair of these is $6. (Actually that was the price my friend paid. They were a gift.) Although these are my cheapy jellies, I don't want to pay more than $5 a pair. However, being that they are getting harder and harder to find, I am debating on paying $15 as that seems to be the going price on Etsy. Oh by the way etsy sellers with Jellies... chances are your vintage 80's jellies are not actually vintage, but the repros Target put out a few years back. So $15 is a bit pricey for $2.50 retro shoes that you probably bought at Goodwill for $1.00.

Now that I am a grown up (har har har) I have found myself buying grown up jellies. These are my EXPENSIVE jellies that range from $25-75 that I have spent on jellies. Melissa's are the top dogs of this pack. Now before you go screaming $75 on jellies, keep in mind these are on sale from an average of $200 for the shoes and are actually one hell of a deal.

I find that when it comes to my expensive jellies, I usually like 2 style types. Style 1 will look good with vintage 40's. Style 2 80's, Baby! All the way!

While I have my own pet peeves about vintage wearing, such as when shooting for one particular era, make sure your hair matches your dress. (Not to be mistaken for the eclectic vintage wearing that can blend eras.) I find that I am ok with perfect era vintage with jelly shoes. Why? Because I am convinced that had jellies been around back in the 30's, 40's, and 50's women would have worn them more than they had in the 80's. With the fascination of plastics in that era and the obvious fashion accessories of various plastics (Bakelite, celluloid, and Lucite) there is no reason why women wouldn't have worn them. Besides a lot of fashion is what is made and available at the time. It may be an excuse, but it is a good one for me! :-D However, don't let me see you with 40's hair at a 50's event! Hah! (rockabilly broads don't count.)

So here is my small collection. First the cheapies and then the $$$$$$$$$


15 comments:

  1. I loved those shoes! I had neon orange ones, and clear/glittery ones!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to date myself and admit that jelly flats take me back to junior high. Not too appealing. But ankle strap heels?! Wowza!

    ReplyDelete
  3. pinupgirlclothing.com sells jelly shoes! I love jelly shoes :) I had these clear sparkly pair as a little girl.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really want some Melissa shoes, but I can't find bargains like you did!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I lóve the white ones in the last picture!
    Very beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Betty2Toned... Ooh! Now I have fantasies of owning neon orange ones!!

    BoPeep... Hahahaha Well, if you go by my wearing them currently, then we are both still in Jr. High! Melissa's are amazing and they smell like bubblegum!

    LovelyPinup... Ooh! Thanks for the tip! The clear sparkly pair I wore until they were dead dead dead! I am so trying to find another pair!

    Miss Emmi... I got mine on ideeli.com and gilt.com. I *think* you need an invite to sign up. Let me know if you do and I'll send you one.

    Lindsey... Those ones are my latest! They are Harajuku Lovers Yippee jelly wedges. I can't wait until it warms up a bit more where so I can wear them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad I was able to get a pair of those HJ wedges. They arrive tomorrow....yay! Just in time for Easter.

    Did you ever have the Jelly bag to match your shoes? I did. So lame. I remember walking home from school and having every pen/pencil fall through the holes. Ugh. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. LuckyDame... Me too!! I think everyone should have those HL wedges... I will convert the world to jelly. Oh yes I will!! Hahaha I didn't know there was a bag! I think the jelly shoe fad happened far too quickly and I was too young to remember. I think I had 1 pair if that before the fad was over. I was too young to even remember the color, although pink seems to be about right. My jelly shoe love is an adult love. Hahaha Not in a cheapy way though. :) Now I must research the jelly bag!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love them, takes me back to my childhood! I am really after a flat pair for the beach for summer, BTW I bet those boots are fab on!! Lovely collection!! BTW your you know what will be shipping very soon ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can't wait to show Piper your collection! She is your mini you when it comes to Jelly's. She wears them till they break. She just picked up a pair at Buffalo ($13) they have circles about the size of nickles. HOT PINK! She wears them everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello gorgeous! I just discovered your blog through It'll Snap Your Garters and I'm in love with your blog, your style AND your collection of jelly shoes! I've recently started collecting VW Melissa shoes after my man bought me a pair of Wings for xmas - I'm hooked. I'm following you:) xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love Melissa shoes too! I had a real crush on them last summer and bought two pairs off ebay. One pair has a neon pink heel and white top. My boyfriend couldn't believe it, he thought it was the most disgusting shoes he'd ever seen, but I love the gaudiness of them! :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Miss Matilda... I cannot lie... I got those boots based solely on Synergy from Jem and the Holograms. But now I see they also sell them in red, black and yellow... Thinking I need one in each color! Melissa has some great flats that would be nice for the beach, but they are $$$. There are others that have similar styles for a lot less, but I am a Melissa snob so... lol. However Marc Jacobs sells a pair of jelly gladiator sandles (very 30's) that I want to get my hands on, but once again $$$. :-/ I can't wait to see Lolita Says!

    CC... I love that girl's style!! What size is she? I have a pair of white jelly's in sz 6 that I thought I could "stretch out", but can't. :( I'll send them to her if she wants them!

    PUYS... Hello, LUCKY GAL! I mean lucky because your man bought you some VW's, not cause you're following me. Hehehe. I was undecided on the wings... Loved the wing part, but unsure of that back cut out. Saw them on Kate Moss and fell in love! I want a pair too!!!

    Lina Sofia... Are you talking about Fetish II??? I wanted that pair sooooooo bad! Very Jem and the Holograms! I am jealous of you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh here is the image that made me get those purple boots. Look at Synergy's boots. :) http://totallyjem.jemmagic.com/dolls/900jpg/1987.4020a.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  15. check out my new jelly shoes on my blog!!! you will love them

    ReplyDelete